- The moose or Eurasian elk, is only behind the bison
as the second largest land animal in North America and
- All moose are herbivores, and need to consume nearly
10,000 calories per day to maintain their body weight.
- A typical moose can eat up to 71 pounds of food
- A male moose will lose its antlers after the mating
season and conserve energy for the winter. A new set
of antlers will regrow in the spring, taking 3 to 5
months to completely develop.
- This makes antlers one of the fastest growing animal
organs. The antlers initially have a layer of skin,
called velvet, but this is shed once the antlers are
- The largest moose was 7.5 feet tall at the shoulder,
and weighed 1800 pounds.
- Moose attack more people than bears and wolves combined.
However, the results of these attacks are usually minor.
- There are 6 different subspecies of moose.
About the Author
Jacob Maddox manages content for Wildlife Animals http://www.wildlife-animals.com
an educational wildlife and animal website. Jacob also
guest writes for Dog Pound http://www.dog-pound.net